Thursday 21 February 2013

It's all about words in the West Wing

I don't know if it is a good or a bad thing that I have been loaned the entire box set of the West Wing. I am now hooked, good and proper.

BUT.....I am also very bemused and a tad irritated by a few things. Talking fast, very fast, in fact, so fast my ears cannot pick up all the words, seems to be taken as synonymous with showing intelligence. Scattering speech with acronyms and leaving things unsaid but accompanied by meaningful looks, all serve to make the case that if you don't understand, you don't belong.

It reminds me that corporate life is full of people enacting these sorts of behaviours and then we are surprised people misunderstand and that mistakes are made! So my plea this week is to KISS - Keep it so simple. De-mystify, de-clutter and 'de-clique-ify' your speech.

Una


No comments:

Post a Comment