Tuesday 12 February 2013

What makes you click?

My late Mum used to be a personal secretary, in the 'old days', as my children would say. She said she kept herself motivated by not focusing on her in tray, but looking at the growing content in her out tray. In those days her in and out tray were physical plastic trays and her technology was an electric typewriter. I am not sure what Mum would have made of today's business environment.

Today I reflected that I have 8 email accounts to monitor, three voice mail accounts two twitter accounts, two text message accounts and umpteen discussion forums I am part of. With all this 'noise', I pondered the question, "when someone sends me a link, what is it that makes me click on it?".

When time is so precious and information so overwhelming, why am I tempted to spend that extra few seconds on one link rather than another?

For me there are several 'grabs':

  • Humour
  • A (short) quirky comment.
  • An eye grabbing picture.
  • A puzzle.
  • A topic of immediate interest.
  • A person I know


What does it for you?

Una

No comments:

Post a Comment